Popular Posts

Saturday, November 5, 2011

An Eternal Persprective

"But as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and that he will stand upon the earth at last.And after my body has decayed, yet in my body I will see God!I will see him for myself. Yes, I will see him with my own eyes. I am overwhelmed at the thought!.” Job 19:25-27 NLT

Job had an eternal perspective that transcended his earthly problems. Job’s confidence in God is astounding. In the midst of his darkest hour he reaffirms his belief in the Eternal. I am afraid our modern evangelicalism has sold us a message devoid of eternal things. Often the appeal to the lost is about God’s blessings: healed relationships, better circumstances and solved problems – in short it presents God as primarily concerned about our life here and now. The message is summed up with the slogan, “You can have a great life now with God!”

When Christians lose their eternal perspective they often lose the true motivation to endure, persevere and ultimately triumph over day to day difficulties. Like Job we have to be able to say with confidence, no matter what happens today, there is confidence in something better tomorrow – “My redeemer lives and I shall see Him.”

This life and this physical body are the temporary parts of our life. Our Soul and Spirit are eternal. I often tell young people, “do not trade the eternal for the temporary.”

Prayer for today: Father I ask you to infuse my being with an awesome sense of eternity. Like Job I want to be overwhelmed by the reality of it, so that it captivates and motivates me to live for you and to reach others with the message of Jesus Christ and the truth that they too can enjoy an eternity with their redeemer God.

No comments:

Post a Comment